Wednesday, March 25, 2009

You Know the Drill by Now...MORE New Things...

Another post with new things Parker is saying/doing. Yes, I know that probably 95% of my posts lately have just been new words/signs/and or animal sounds Parker has been doing but in my world as a mother, these are the things that just make my day! There is nothing better than watching your "baby" learn new things! Anyway so bare with me and just realize that I'm a first time mom and I just want to remember these things when I'm old and gray! ;)

Parker now points to a new body part...his tongue. So for a quick body part re-cap of the ones Parker can point to (in no particular order) : nose, mouth, tongue, eyes, ears, hair, head, hands, belly, arm, leg, foot and toes! I can't tell if he knows "fingers" yet or not. He kind of holds up his hands and waves his fingers a little bit when we ask where his fingers are, but this could just be coincidence...afterall, it's hard for a 1 year old to point to his fingers.

Today Parker also did a new sign, "book"! Parker LOVES to read books and will sit through SEVERAL at one time, (although they have to be the books of his choosing). He'll take ones off of his bookshelf that he wants to read. It's typically the same probably 10 or so books that he repeatedly takes off of the bookshelf and usually he wants to read one book repeatedly a least twice before moving on to a new book. He even has favorite library books that he chooses to read. Sometimes I'll try to get out a library book that we haven't read very much when it's close to needing to go back and will try to see if he'll let me read it to him and he will frequently just push the book away and grab one of his favorites while signing "more please" for me to read it to him! It's so amazing to me that such a young little guy is already so opinionated. I hate to think about what this will mean once he's a teenager! lol.

Parker also signed "apple" today, although I realized today that he has been signing this for quite a while now and I just didn't realize that was what he was doing. We have several books that have pictures of apples and each time I read the word apple, I do the sign for it. You essentially just twist your hand in a fist at the corner of your lips or the apple of your cheek...Well I noticed that Parker has been reaching back and kind of making a fist and moving it around after I sign apple. This is quite a bit different than the actual sign so I thought he was just doing something strange! lol. I noticed today that every time I said the word apple and did the sign, he'd take his fist again and move it back and forth by his ear. I guess the sign is more difficult since he can't see the front of his face like he can see the other signs he does, (like "more", "please" and others like them that are done in front of the body). I'm assuming that he thinks he is moving his little hand in the same place I am, but his poor depth perception is off or that's just how he has modified the sign since the books say that babies will frequently modify the signs somewhat in a way that's easier for them. Either way it's pretty cute watching him try signing apple! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment