Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hopefully the last illness update for a LONG time!

I have good news and bad news...Good news first! Well yesterday Parker acted like his happy baby self once again! Dr. Duff told us not to restrict his diet and that we should allow him to eat whatever he would eat and as much of it as he wanted. Well with him having such a hard time keeping down his solids, (and let's face it, I was TiReD of getting thrown up on and seeing poor Parker throw up), we decided we still needed to VERY slowly ease him into the solids. We only gave him a few bites of the baby squash during his meals along with the baby bananas and baby rice/oatmeal/mixed grains/or barley. This seemed to do the trick since he didn't throw up yesterday or today! Today we let him have a few more bites of the squash than we had the day before. He seems to really be listening to his body because he hasn't been eating nearly as much solids as he does when he is well. Although he is extremely skinny right now (like his rib cage, back bone and shoulder blades are all very visible and protruding), we figure it is better for him to eat less than normal but still keep it down than to try to have him eat as much as before he got sick and end up throwing up again thus keeping even less food down. We've now been over 48 hours without vomit so I think I can finally safely say that the throwing up is complete!!

Now for the bad news...Last night was vErY exhausting for us!! Parker went to sleep at about 8pm and slept just fine until about 12am. He woke up at 12, I rocked him back to sleep and then we put him back in his crib after about 20 minutes of rocking. He woke up when we put him in the crib and cried and cried. We let him cry for a bit and then went back and tried again to put him down. He slept for about 40 minutes and then woke up again and wanted to nurse. So at 1 something I nursed him and he went back to sleep. An hour later he woke up again. We rocked again and tried again to put him in his crib and let him cry for a bit but once again he wouldn't sleep. This went on the entire night!! EVERY hour he woke up, we'd go into his room and I'd rock him, try to put him back in the crib, he'd wake up and cry and refuse to sleep! Needless to say we were all exhausted today! Parker took one 2 1/2 hour nap and one 1 1/2 hour nap. For some kids his age that would be pretty "normal" but this is the child who typically only take 1 or 2 thirty minute naps in a day and who even yesterday when he was still getting over his sickness only took 2 thirty to fourty five minute naps. James and Parker are both sleeping and I know I should have gone to bed long ago but thought I should get an update out. Hopefully we won't need any more illness updates and we can finally be done with this nasty thing once and for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment