Monday, October 25, 2010

First Day

Well, Parker and I had our first days today...my first day at work and Parker's first day of preschool! Things went really well. Parker only cried 3 times and I only cried once, lol!

When we first dropped him off, he got really clingy when James and I were about to leave and cried for MAYBE a minute. He quit crying before we even reached the door to leave. I THOUGHT I'd be a bawling mess, but surprisingly, I didn't even cry! Later when his class was playing outside on the playground, he saw me outside and ran over to me with a big smile on his face! (his class plays on the playground at the same time the class I teach in does) It was so sweet! It was hard trying to explain to him that I was there to watch/play with other kids. He stayed right by my side once he saw me, but it was fine because I was still able to watch the kids in "my" class.

Then it became time for me to go into the classroom to help set out cots so they'd be ready later for nap time. This is when the tears started flowing...for BOTH of us this time! :( One of the other teachers had to take him away from me so I could go inside and he was crying, saying he wanted me to stay and play with him...broke.my.heart! I started crying to once I got into the classroom. I didn't cry for long, but I just couldn't help it...I hate seeing my "baby" sad! :(

The only other teary time came in the afternoon when they were playing on the playground. Parker saw me again, and he got sad when it was time for his class to go inside, but my class was still staying outside to play. He started crying and saying he wanted to stay and play with me. Luckily, his class was going inside at about 3:55 and I got off today at 4:00, so he only had to wait a few more minutes before I just walked down to his class and picked him up.

I saw Parker's teacher in the hall toward the end of my break time so I asked her how Parker had been doing. She said he was doing a great job. She said he even participating in group time! (during his transitional visits he just sat or stood with the other kids on his carpet square but didn't participate in the activities) She said one of the teachers asked a question and Parker raised his hand and answered her (with the right answer)!

Overall it was a great day! Things went well in my class, Parker seemed to do well and most importantly, we both lived through it, lol! Hoping tomorrow will be another good day! :)

I asked James to be sure to take pictures of Parker before he left for school since it was his first day of preschool and this is what I got (after I zoomed in on them so they weren't from SOOO far away, lol. I love my hubby to death but photography is not his forte;)




1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that it went well. I'm sure I would have cried more than once if I went back to work and took my kids somewhere. I'm glad I found your blog with all the cute stories about Parker!

    ReplyDelete