Saturday, May 2, 2009

So Many Updates, So Little Time...

I keep meaning to put another update on here but I keep forgetting or I'm too tired, or...the list of excuses goes on and on. Anyway, here is another Parker update with some new words, signs and body parts he knows.

Body Parts: fingers (although this is one he has known for quite a while that I think I just forgot to update), chin, knee, eyebrows

Words: more (will sometimes but not always say "more" now while signing it), glasses ("ga, ga"), knee, eyebrows

Sign: help

It has been interesting because lately when Parker has learned a new body part, he will start by just pointing to it when we ask "where's your ______?" and now he will point to it and say the body part as well. The number of body parts that Parker points too is actually really impressive to me! :) I was reading just the other day on this milestone chart (http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-13-to-18-months_1496589.bc?scid=mbtw_post13m:341&pe=2Ul2lnn), that half of 14 month olds can "point to one body part when asked". Parker points to 18 body parts and actually says 5 of them in addition to pointing to them (nose, eyes, eyebrows, leg, knee). And when they say at 14 months, they mean by the end of the 14th month and Parker just turned 14 months old on April 25th so he is barely even 14 months. There are actually many things on the milestone chart that Parker is ahead in, (particularly things pertaining to his language skills but it's almost 11:00pm and I'm too tired to get into all of that this evening.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes James and I will spell certain words, like "eat" instead of saying the word eat if it's at a time when we are trying to hold Parker out so he doesn't think he needs to eat sooner than we'd like for him to. Well this morning when we spelled out "e-a-t", Parker instantly did the sign for eat and started acting hungry. We thought maybe it was just a coincidence, but he did it several times throughout the day when we spelled the word eat. We're not sure if he figured this out because when you spell eat it sounds a lot like you're actually saying the word "eat", or he's made the connection that when we spell "e-a-t" he usually gets to eat shortly afterward or how exactly he figured out the connection but he certainly DID figure it out! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching him learn these new fun things, but I do wonder all the time where my little baby went??!! I definitely have had a toddler since about 11 months old and it kind of makes me sad even though it's so fun having him be so interactive and fun lately...not to mention that he is the cuddliest, sweetest little toddler EVER!! :) Anyway, it's much too late so I must get to sleep but was tired of putting off yet another update. Good night! :)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE looking at milestone charts! It is fun to see how advanced Addie is! And Mia too! The last time I checked Addie was doing everything listed for a 30 month old and most of the things a 36 month old should be doing!
    I haven't checked in a while though so I have no idea where Mia ranks...I know she is doing more than most 8 months old considering she is nearly walking and says "ball" and can feed herself....hmmmm....I think I will have to check out the good ole milestone chart now because I am curious! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! And Mia also plays patty-cake and peekaboo and address me as Mama and Zach as Dada, stands alone for a few seconds (I can sing abcs and usually get a pic or two before she falls down), drinks from a sippy and a bunch of other things that according to the chart she should not be doing yet! Whoo hoo! Go Mia! LOL
    We sure do have some smart kiddos!

    ReplyDelete