Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Old Updates, New Sickness

I found a piece of paper today where I had written several new words that Parker had said and I have never recorded yet. These updates were all dated from sometime during the first 2 weeks of April.

New Words: bubble, purple, water, Noah, strawberries ("wa, wa was"), watermelon ("wa, wa"), ladybug ("lay buh"), and butterfly ("buh-a-fuh")

New Sign: Parker did the sign for music yesterday out of the blue. It was one that I had done some with him but only a couple of times but he was pointing at the CD player in the playroom and then signed it. When I asked him if he wanted to hear some music, he signed it again while pointing to the CD player.

Now on to the unfortunate illness update...Parker has had a really runny nose yesterday and today so we assumed he either had a slight cold (he has had a few other times where he has had a runny nose, but no other symptoms so that's what we were thinking was going on), or he was teething again because he's been drooling a ton lately as well. Anyway, he was acting like his normal happy self until he woke up from his nap. He had slept well but when he woke up, he was really lethargic and just wanted to cuddle in my arms instead of being active...VERY unusal for Parker. We decided to give him so Tylenol because we thought it might make him feel better since he obviously isn't old enough to tell us if he's feeling achy or anything like that. Then as he still just rested in my arms, we decided to go ahead and take his temp. It was 101.5 (according to our information from our pediatrician's office, an "older baby" should be seen in the office if they have a fever over 101 degrees. Although Parker's fever was barely over 101 degrees, we went ahead and called the office and they said we should bring him in. As it turns out, Parker has his first ear infection! He never acted like his ears were bothering him...in fact, ironically he likes to tug and play with his right ear, but the infection is only in his left ear. Anyway, Dr. Gallagher (our doc. Dr. Duff was not in the office because our appt. was @ 6:00pm and the other docs in the office had left for the day), put Parker on Amoxicillin (no idea on the spelling and I'm much too lazy to go downstairs and check the fridge). I'm certainly glad now that we did take Parker in. We thought maybe we had made the wrong decision for a while because once the Tylenol kicked in, Parker was SUPER happy and completely acting like his old self again! I'm just happy that it was just an ear infection and not some terrible nasty illness like what he had around the time of his birthday! Plus, he has been SO happy...you'd never even know he was sick if it weren't for his nose running like a faucet!

5 comments:

  1. poor Parker! I'm glad he's feeling better. Yay for antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm glad they figured out what was wrong and that he is recovering so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Kylie had an ear infection when she was 6 months old and it didn't make her lethargic, it made her GRUMPY with a capital "G". And all she wanted to do was nurse, like every 30 minutes. It was a very long week. So for your sake, I hope Parker feels better soon. The antibiotics really helped a lot so I hope you get the same results we did with them!!!

    I guess that's the only time Kylie's ever been sick (except for colds and teething aches), so I hope that isn't a sign that all future illnesses will turn her into a grumpy monster. Although seeing your baby lethargic isn't exactly fun either.

    So this was just a long note just to say "good luck", sorry for getting so side tracked :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I think we just happened to catch it right at the beginning because he has had several bouts today where he has been VERY grumpy and just acted like he wasn't feeling well. It hasn't been bad though...I'd MUCH rather this than throw-up sick and I'm sure Parker would as well!

    Kristin- Parker was just a bit lethargic after his nap, mainly just extra cuddly/clingy to me instead of wanting to be extremely active like usually and it seemed like once the Tylenol kicked in, he acted like nothing had ever been wrong! :) Today he has had several times where he's been grumpy so I think that must be common with ear infections. He has also been really picky about what he wants to eat. Was Kylie that way when she had her ear infection? Oh, and I am the QUEEN of getting side tracked and writing extremely long posts/messages so you don't ever need to appologize to me for getting side tracked! Look at how long my current post is??!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well she was only six months old so she wasn't really eating solid food yet, just tasting them every once in a while. But she would completely refuse the bottle and would only want to nurse, like every hour or less, so I had to miss class that week. Sorry to answer your question so late!

    ReplyDelete